Nunavut experiences rates of child abuse at 10 times the national average. Our Umingmak Child and Youth Support Centre will be the first Child Advocacy Centre in Nunavut. Funded in part by the government of Canada, our Centre will open in 2019.
The centre will be designed to address the needs of child victims and children who have witnessed a crime, and will meet the cultural needs of Nunavummiut. As a one-stop-shop, the centre will co-ordinate the efforts of the various service providers to ensure that all legal and forensic evidence is gathered.
The centre will include:
- child-friendly interview room for use by police and family services
- medical examination room
- counselling offive
- offices for a bilingual (Inuktitut – English) case coordinator and Program Director
Our progress so far:
- 2014 Needs Assessment (click here to view)
- 2015 Feasibility Study (click here to view)
- 2016 Strategic Plan, working group formalized, location identified
- 2017 Policies and Procedures drafted, evaluation plan, formalized partnerships
You can find more information about Child Advocacy Centres at the Department of Justice website here